Coconut oil. It’s a wonderful and powerful little oil, and I absolutely can’t get enough of the stuff. Plus, it makes everything taste good too! It has definitely earnt the right to be called a superfood, due to the infinite health and medicinal benefits associated with it.
TOP TIP: I highly recommend stirring a small teaspoon into your bowl of porridge in the morning- it makes it extremely creamy and if consumed on a regular basis it is thought to increase metabolism and consequently speed up weight loss! Rather surprising for an oil, I know- but this is no ordinary oil! (Thanks to it’s great little ‘Medium Chain Triglycerides’ which are metabolised in a different way to normal longer-chain fatty acids in our diet.) I also love adding it to banana smoothies, I use it to soothe dry skin, I even use it in my hair as a natural deep conditioner, AND it can be used as a natural makeup remover!
Here is a top 10 list of the amazing health, healing and nourishing properties and superpowers of coconut oil:
- It’s a great natural moisturiser, for skin or hair
- The fatty acids in it help to reduce your appetite/ hunger pangs
- It boosts metabolism, so aids weight loss
- It has anti-fungal and antioxidant properties
- It can improve cholesterol levels, preventing heart disease
- Supports healthy thyroid function
- Can stimulate hair growth when rubbed into scalp
- Can boost brain function
- Great for the immune system
- Can help improve the digestive system, especially with problems such as IBS
All hail coconut oil!
I buy this Coconut Oil by The Groovy Food Company from Waitrose. Its Organic Virgin oil which is better for you because Virgin coconut oil means that it is derived from fresh coconuts, which ensures that all of it’s original goodness is preserved.